Does the world really need one more kale salad? Admittedly, the combination of flavors looks like a hearty winter salad, and it very well can be, but trust me when I say the chili lime almonds are brimming with such a bright flavor that works wonders next to the salty feta and fruity pomegranate seeds.
The best part is that this is a recipe within a recipe! You can make just the almonds and have a healthy and yummy snack all week long! Because everyone knows you can’t go wrong with a little brown sugar.
I’ll let you in on a little secret .. I took these pictures what feels like a million years ago in Michigan. It’s so weird to even think where we were at the beginning of 2016 because Dayne and I are quickly getting back to our old selves here in Minneapolis. Our little family of four found residence in a 1920’s duplex with a small yard and our lives quickly filled up with friend’s birthdays, family dinners, long walks around Lake Harriet and we couldn’t be more thankful to be back to our home.
Keep an eye out for a little Michigan inspired post coming soon! Just because I’m wildly in love with Minneapolis does not mean I’m not thankful for our year and a half in Michigan.
kale + pomegranate salad
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups dino kale, chopped
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
chili lime salted almonds
- 2 cups unsalted almonds
- zest of 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
maple balsamic dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- a pinch of salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice acorn squash and toss with olive oil and spread across a baking sheet.
- Roast squash for 30-40 minutes, until fork tender. Set aside.
- Set oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl, combine almonds, lime zest, chili powder, sugar and maple syrup and stir until nuts are evenly coated.
- Spread nut mixture on a sheet pan.
- Roast nuts for 6-8 minutes, until they are brown and the sugar is bubbling.
- Remove the almonds from the oven, sprinkle with the salt and stir.
- Let the nuts cool completely before serving.
- In a blender combine all dressing ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Assemble salad: kale and lettuce, squash, pomegranate seeds, feta cheese, chili lime salted almonds.
- Top with dressing and serve!